Last Updated on March 19th, 2019
A QUICK HISTORY OF CANDLE MAGICK
English Ritual magician William G. Gray says, “Magic is for growing up as Children of Light. Sane, sound, healthy, and happy souls, living naturally and normally on levels of inner Life where we can be REAL people as contrasted with the poor shadow selves we project at one another on earth.”
Magick is a way to awaken and enhance ourselves, and our lives.
Candle magick, specifically, gives us methods to focus our energy and intention. Candle magick has a long history of use.
Candles made of beeswax were used in Crete and Egypt by 3000 BCE. Sorcerers and magicians used candle flames as a tool of sight and vision. They could stare into the flame and gain needed information.
Rosemary Ellen Guiley, in her article Candle Lore and Magic, tells us that ancient pagans used candles and lamps in religious observances. Due to persecution, our foremothers, the wise women, had to conceal their knowledge and workings. They would use everyday objects to perform their magick work; as such candles could be used inconspicuously for mundane purposes as well as for magick.
Candles have continued to be used consistently because they’re a great way to focus energy into a material object. One can burn the candle at specific times, which enhances the work, and the burning of the candle releases the energy out into the world.
The focused intention on the candle specifies your desire to the universe, and a candle, once charged and lit, continues to work its magick.
TYPES OF CANDLES AND THEIR USES
As witches, we use energy consciously and for the good of all. Each color of candle holds a specific energetic vibrational frequency. One uses a specific- colored candle in order to best execute the intention of the spell.
We can also use symbolism in working with candles by carving symbols into the candles. The physical action of doing the carving is part of the spell. A candle may also be molded into a shape representing the specific desire we wish to attract.
For example, if we’re working with peace, we could have a candle in the form of a dove or peace symbol.
HOW TO PREPARE CANDLES FOR SPELL WORK
There are many ways to prepare candles for spell work and it’s important to remember to make things your own.
It is important to experiment to find what feels “right” for you.
Different spells will call for different preparations and sometimes simplicity is the best course. In other situations, you may feel you need to spend more time and attention preparing the candle for the spellwork.
To begin any candle spell, cleanse or purify the candle. This can be done by:
- Placing the candle outside or near the windowsill at night for a moon bath;
- Moving the candle through sage or incense;
- Soaking it in sea salt overnight;
- Or by using a cloth with a little rubbing alcohol.
The next step is to let it breathe for a bit. Once sufficient time has passed, you could infuse your candle with essential oils or herbs to enhance the spellwork. You may also wish to carve the symbols into it now or wait until later while doing the spellwork.
If you’re preparing the candle one day and using it later, wrap it in a cloth to let the candle marinate in the preparations.
Now, I wanted to provide 2 very simple Candle Magick Spells you can perform in a pinch…
TWO SIMPLE CANDLE MAGICK SPELLS
The Green Chakra Candle of Love
Love is the most powerful force anywhere. Opening to this power and using it improves our lives as well as the lives of all beings. Here is a simple spell to bring this into your life.
1) On an 8 ½” x 11” piece of paper, draw a picture of an open door which fills up most of the paper.
2) Take a green (for the heart chakra) candle and carve hearts into it. If it’s a jar candle, carve the hearts on the top and draw them on the jar.
3) Infuse the candle with the spell.“ I AM LOVE. The door is open to give and receive love. I AM LOVE. THANK YOU. BLESSED BE.” Repeat this for three minutes.
4) Let the candle burn for 30 minutes, the first night.
5) Repeat nightly for a minimum of three nights.
The “Dove Attracts Prosperity” Spell
Money has its own powerful energy. Whether you have lots of it or you would like more, it plays a large role in your life. This is a simple spell to be at peace with your money issues.
1) Begin this spell by writing a minimum of three pages on your feelings about money and how it is affecting you.
2) Draw or find a picture of a dove and draw or find a picture of money or a symbol of money. You may also use figurines to represent these things if you wish.
3) Place a white placemat under the items and place a gold candle next to it.
4) Inhale and exhale peace and clarity with money.
5) Light the candle and repeat for a minimum of three minutes, “Peace and money you are my friends. I am at peace with love and money. Thank you.”
6.) Let the candle burn out or do this nightly for 3 consecutive nights.
Remember: Magickal practice is empowering, emotional, and FUN. In fact, you’ll feel all of this in the scope of 1 simple little spell.